What they really mean – “Oh God, I still have so much work to do by Monday.”
2. This homework is so creative.
What they really mean – I’ve heard this same idea for the past five years.
3. I’m excited to meet your families at Parents Evening tonight.
What they really mean – I have to think of some new ways of saying ‘loud’ and ‘annoying’.
4. Let’s watch an educational film.
What they really mean – I honestly cannot handle speaking today.
5. I’m feeling a little under the weather.
What they really mean – I was up all night taking care of my family, running errands, doing chores, and marking homework. What is sleep?
6. Your child has quite a sense of humour.
What they really mean – They constantly interrupt my class with their jokes.
7. Your grades don’t define you.
What they really mean – You’re not the brightest but that’s OK, you have a great personality.
8. Sure I’ll come in this weekend and re-organise the classrooms.
What they really mean – I hate everything and everyone.
9. I’m really organised.
What they really mean – I used to be organised … then school started.
10. I’d never choose another career over teaching.
What they really mean – No seriously, no one would put up with the low wage, long hours, and troublesome kids, if they didn’t love their job. I’ll always love teaching.
(Follow our social media channels for regular updates, and don’t forget to share with your friends and colleagues!)